How Nonprofit Fundraising Can Flourish in Uncertain Times
Feeling unsure about what’s coming down the pipeline this year? You are not alone.
From politics to climate to the economy, there are plenty of things to be concerned about. That feeling of being “out of balance” can affect annual giving if donors start to spend and give more carefully.
So what’s the best path through this formidable landscape? Here are a couple of pointers about nonprofit fundraising from Giving USA 2023.
- Bequest giving continues to be a steady revenue stream for charities that encourage these gifts, with giving from bequests outpacing total giving over five and ten years.
- Be proactive in the current climate, both with your donors as you market vehicles for philanthropic consideration, and with your governing boards who often need to be reminded that financing this area of advancement is investing in the health and longevity of your organization–even if times become lean.
Planned giving can be your “constant” amidst the uncertainty of nonprofit fundraising. It’s not impacted by societal ups and downs the way that annual giving is.
Rather than hoping that the same people will give the same or more money year after year, you can depend on more solid and lasting gifts—gifts that will support your organization for generations to come.
Here are the most effective steps we have found for growing a planned giving program.
- Determine which donors (not just your high net worth donors) are the best prospects for gifts in the will and other legacy gifts.
- Keep a continuing relationship with all of those donors so that they are inspired to think of you when the time comes to create or update a will.
- Follow up on the best leads personally, using your time most efficiently.
- Provide team training for everyone who might use those leads.
These steps will grow your future funding. If it sounds overwhelming, it doesn’t have to be. We can be your secret weapon against uncertain times. Contact us today to get started.